This post contains affiliate links.
If you just want to get straight to it & buy some Period Panties, click here. If you want to know why I love them & all the nitty gritty details of how well they mysteriously contain raging periods, read on. 👇
I’ve seen ads for Period Panties for years. And I honestly never gave them a second thought. Because like…how?
Just how? How do period panties work? How am I supposed to wear just panties all day and they will somehow magically absorb my period without feeling like I’m wearing a diaper? And how am I supposed to believe any of that?
And then there’s the other reason I haven’t tried them:
I’ve literally never heard a single soul in my life talk about period panties.
I mean, surely if something as mind-blowing as Period Panties that actually work was out there we’d be hearing about it 24/7, right?
Well, it turns out—wrong.
Because I finally bit the bullet and tried them. And I’m here to tell you: TRY THEM RIGHT THIS SECOND.
I have zero idea why women aren’t out there absolutely screaming about the amazingness of Period Panties from the highest rooftops.
Because Period Panties are game-changers. Dare I say life-changers.
The only thing I can come up with is that people (yes, apparently even women) are weird about talking about periods. That kind of blows my mind in and of itself because helloooo, at this point aren’t we past that? Periods are part of life. Period.
And as much as I dread that monthly visit, periods are the reason we’re able to have children. So, there’s that tiny little detail of epic magnitude.
But here’s the thing. Since I started using period underwear, I actually don’t dread my period anymore.
Seriously. They’re just that easy. And they’re just that good. You gotta try them. I can’t tell you how amazing it is to put on a pair of Period Panties in the morning & wear them all day long without having to worry about leaks. I’ve never been able to go a full day without leaking when I wear tampons or pads. I often used to wear both for added protection. (Notice I said “used to wear” … that’s because I’m NEVER going back.)
Like many (all?) women experience, my periods are monumentally heavier since having children. I’m talking super plus tampons and the longest pads I can find. And the bummer about the pads is that they usually show through my mom-iform aka yoga pants. So I go with tampons. But then I have to change them constantly.
I mean, that’s just not fun. Think about it. I leave the house armed with tampons & pads. Exciting stuff.
And the feeling when your tampon is full is something I hate. It’s like this weird kind of pressure. So then I often prefer pads. But they’re messier, obviously.
But you know what’s not messy? Period Panties.
I don’t know how, but they are soooo much less messy than pads. That part blew me away. I think it’s because they really do absorb it all instead of kind of letting things just sit there. You don’t get blood on you the same way. You don’t get smears on your legs. It’s amazing.
And full disclosure, it makes sex when you have your period so much easier/more enjoyable. Because you don’t have to worry about taking your tampon out or if you just put one in recently so you can’t take it out yet, etc. etc. etc. And you’re also not messy from wearing a pad all the live long day. Just wear your period underwear and then slip them off. That’s it.
Yes I fully realize that I’m fangirling over Period Panties.
No, this isn’t sponsored. I just genuinely want women and girls everywhere to know about this other option because it’s far superior to the status quo that we’ve all dealt with. I want everyone to try them.
I’m passionate about them because I feel like they truly do impact the quality of our lives—at least for 5-7 days a month. I wish I had known about them the day they were invented. I wish my friends who had tried them had told me how amazing they were. Hell I wish random strangers on the internet had talked about how awesome they are.
Hi. 👋 I’m going to be that random stranger on the internet singing the praises of period panties. No shame in my game if it helps other women.
🔴 Period Panties deets & facts that I know you’re wondering about:
- Yes, I wear them without a pad or tampon. Just straight period panties. They haven’t leaked once.
- I put on a fresh pair in the morning & then change to a new pair for night. Rinse & repeat.
- They do not smell or have any type of odor. That impressed me, because pads definitely can have a scent.
- They do not feel bulky. They’re like basic black panties. And they’re not thick, which is partly why they seem like magic. They’re made of super thin absorbent layers and boy do those layers work. Bamboo fabric apparently wicks moisture away 400% faster than cotton. I kept asking myself “But WHERE does it go?”
- When it’s time to switch to a new pair, you can tell. It’s hard to explain exactly because they don’t feel thick or full…more like cold if that makes sense? And then when you put on a new pair it’s like ahhhhh.
- Clots are absorbed. Again, not sure what kind of sorcery that is, but they are.
- They come in all different colors. I bought the 3 pack of black to start. LOVE. I wanted to test them out and after 3 months of using solely period underwear, I’m hooked. Definitely buying more because having more on hand would make things easier for sure. This time I’ll add a nude or white pair in the mix so the black panties won’t show through light-colored clothes. I’m sticking with the exact same style/cut because I love them so much.
- They have normal panty lines.
- They fit TTS but if you’re in between sizes I’d size up.
- I love the brand I have. I haven’t tried another brand and honestly I don’t think I will. These came highly recommended and they exceeded my wildest expectations. They are cheaper than some of the other more well-known brands and they are readily available on Amazon. I’ve heard that the other brands run out of stock all the time so it’s hard to order your size, etc. I’m sticking with these. I’m the kind of person that if something blows me away, I’m sticking with it.
- Yes, they’re an investment up front. But think about never having to buy pads or tampons again and you’ll quickly see that you’re ultimately saving money. And honestly, even if you weren’t saving money over time (which you are), I swear these would still be worth every penny just based on how much they improve the quality of your life every month.
🔴 Period Panties wash/care tips to keep them working like the magic they are:
- Don’t use fabric softener, it can break them down over time.
- People say to wash them right after you take them off. I didn’t know that the first go round and let them dry before I washed them. They still worked great but I started washing them when I took them off the second go round.
- I washed them with all the rest of my laundry every time. Everything came out perfectly each time. No bleeding or staining.
- I hang dry mine but have friends who put them in the dryer. I don’t want to do anything to mess up how well they work so I’m trying to take extra care.
As soon as I tried period panties and experienced firsthand how well they work, I couldn’t stop talking about them.
I think I told my husband every single time I saw him those first couple cycles about their majesticness. Like I’d run in the room just to update him. I just couldn’t stop. I made him look at them. Feel them. Tried to explain to him how magical they were. He probably thought I was nuts because I was borderline obsessed. Then I told him how much easier they make having sex when I have my period and suddenly he was as big a fan as me. Ha. Men.
I called my sisters. My sister who has a one year old loves them so much she has already bought more pairs than me. My other sister has yet to try them. Her awakening is coming. I mean, I get it. I didn’t believe they could work either. Especially because no one I knew had ever even mentioned them.
When one of my mom friends found out I tried period panties, she said she was obsessed, too, and had been using them for a few months. I was like, “WAIT WHAT??! You knew about them and didn’t tell us?!!”
I think about how amazing period panties would be for postpartum.
(Postpartum nurses recommend waiting until you’re in the clear from the danger of large clots, etc. that you need to be able to see right after childbirth. But after that, hallelujah these would be amaze).
And then I think about period panties for adolescent girls.
And how these are such a better alternative for them. They can just have a special pair of panties to wear and that’s it. End of story. OMG I wish we’d had these when I was growing up.
And I think about how great period underwear would be for all the women who deal with urinary incontinence.
These would be epic game-changers for them, too. My husband is a urologist and I told him to start telling all his patients about period underwear.
So, to sum up: I love Period Panties. I don’t know why women aren’t sharing the gloriousness of period underwear with each other. But I am stopping that right now by writing this post. Get some. Try them. Report back.
And then tell all your friends about Period Panties. Or share this post with them. They’ll thank you. Period. 🔴
Get yourself some now! You won’t regret it.
A new 2021 study just came out on the presence of PFAS in period underwear. They tested all of the biggest brands & I am thrilled to report that these Bambody period panties I love HAD ZERO TRACES OF PFAS!! Hallelujah because I don’t think I could’ve stopped wearing these either way, but I’m thrilled to know they came back scot-free.
Have you tried Period Underwear? Tell me what you thought in the comments.
Want more on Motherhood? —> Are you a Stay at Home Mom? Have you ever been mom shamed? Are you a BOYMOM?
Like this post? Join MAMA’s email list to get more like this. All things MOMish—the MOMents + MOMfessions, & all the Mama Must-Haves!